How we use your medical records
Important information for patients
- This practice handles medical records in line with laws on data protection and confidentiality.
- We share medical records with those who are involved in providing you with care and treatment.
- In some circumstances we will also share medical records for medical research, for example, to find out more about why people get ill.
- We share information when the law requires us to do so, for example, to prevent infectious diseases from spreading, or to check the care being provided to you is safe.
- You have the right to request a copy of your medical record.
- You have the right to object to your identifiable information being used for medical research and to plan health services.
- You have the right to request that any mistakes in your medical record are corrected.
- Our Practice Privacy Notice includes information on how to contact the Information Commissioner’s Office to seek advice or make a complaint if you need to do so.
- You can download or view the Practice Privacy Notice at: GP Practice Privacy Notice
Subject Access Request Policy (GDPR Right of Access Policy)
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), individuals have the right to obtain:
- confirmation that their data is being processed
- access to their personal data (and only theirs)
- other supplementary information – this largely corresponds to the information that should be provided in a privacy notice
The GDPR clarifies that the reason for allowing individuals to access their personal data is so that they are aware of and can verify the lawfulness of the processing and understand how and why the practice is using their data.
An application for access to health records may be made in any of the circumstances explained below. This policy does not apply to requests to access records of deceased patients, as the GDPR does not apply to the data of deceased patients.
You can download or view the full Subject Access Request Policy and Access Request forms at: GP Practice Subject Access Request Policy